Saturday, July 4, 2009


Known by her pen name, George Eliot, Mary Ann Evans was born in a village in Warwickshire and attended school in Coventry. From 1853 she was assistant editor of a local newspaper, The Westminster Review and formed close friendships with a number of distinguish writers and philosophers, notably Herbert Spencer and George Henry Lewes. She fell in love with Lewes and lived happily together until Lewes’ death in 1878; although Lewes remained married to his estranged first wife.

At the suggestion of Lewes she made her first attempt at fiction, and in 1856 produced a short story, “The Sad Fortune of the Reverend Amos Barton,” which was published in Blackwood’s Magazine (1857).

No comments:

ss_blog_claim=b2020e0f26362b8071fda24b7fed8308 ss_blog_claim=b2020e0f26362b8071fda24b7fed8308